As we begin this unprecedented year I would like to share some suggestions and some changes to the way things will work at Willow Springs this year.
- Canyons District has asked parents to do a wellness check each morning for your children.Check for fever or signs of illness. If your children are ill, please keep them home.
- Students must wear face coverings as they arrive at school, during school, and as they are dismissed from school. They will not be required to wear face coverings while they eat or during recess. On August 14th we received this clarification from the state:
- “State Issues Public Health Order Clarifying Requirements for Face Masks in Schools –”Face shields may only be worn without a face mask when the ability to see the mouth is essential for communication, Including for an individual who is deaf or hard of hearing or while participating in speech therapy.”
- Based on this new state clarification, face shields will NOT be an acceptable form of face covering except in the circumstances described above.
- To that end, please have your children practice wearing acceptable face coverings
before school starts to help your children get used to them.
- The school has been labeled with directional signs and 6 foot markings. Please practice
physical distancing with your children. Help them learn how to space themselves apart at least 6 feet.
- As per our Re-opening Plan, we will not be holding a Back to School Night. Teachers and
Staff have made welcome videos for you and your children to watch. They will be availableon our school website. Our building has grade level signs posted on the doors so studentsknow where to enter. Teachers will be painting their names on the ground to show children where to line up outside their doors. You are welcome to come over to the school any time and walk around the outside to find the grade level doors specific for your children.
- There will be no parent volunteers in the school until further notice. We look forward to the time when we can once again fill the building with parent volunteers.
- The Salt Lake City County Health Department has advised us that foods prepared at home for classroom treats are illegal. If you want to send a birthday treat:
- Food items must be commercially prepared, in individually wrapped sealed packages.
- I strongly encourage you to send non-food items, such as pencils, erasers, stickers, etc.This would be safer for students with food allergies as well.
- Because of Covid, all items will be passed out at the end of the day to be taken home.
- For students doing online and parent-guided instruction, parents have the option to pick up lunch from our school. Meals must be pre-ordered by 9:00 a.m. each day via email to our lunch manager, BRENDA.SJOBLOM@canyonsdistrict.org Lunches will be picked up in the foyer near the front office 11:00-11:30.
- Most other questions about starting the school year, like information about recess anlunchtime, can be found on our website https://willowsprings.canyonsdistrict.org/. Look for the Willow Springs Re-opening Plan.